Selecting a Search Firm
BOUTIQUE VS LARGE SEARCH FIRM MODELS
- In-Depth Knowledge of Your Company and Culture
- What You See is What You Get
- Creation of Fresh Talent Pools and Access to More Candidates
- Smaller Workload
- Higher Completion Rates
- Personalized Customer Success Model
- Too Many Customers For Close Focus
- Junior People Initiating the Sourcing
- Off Limits Companies and Large Data Bases of Static Candidates
- Large Firms Leverage 10-15 Searches at a Time per Partner
- Research Shows 65% of Searches are Completed
- Cannot Customize Because of Leveraged Model
PIVOTAL QUESTIONS FOR COMPANIES TO ASK SEARCH FIRMS
- Does the lead partner personally conduct all candidate development?
- Who is going to conduct the search and what is that person’s total workload?
- What is that person’s qualifications and experience?
- What personal network is there?
- How will a candidate pool be built?
- What is the plan to get to know the business and culture?
- What is the ability to discern leadership?
- Are best in class leadership assessment tools regarding leadership behaviors and predictors for style and fit, including EQ, offered?
- Are these assessments included in the search fee?
- Is the firm ultimately representing the company or the candidate?
- What issues could mitigate attracting exceptional leaders?
- What is the commitment to “no recruitment zone” after search completion?
- What happens after the search is completed and the candidate begins?
What Makes a Search Successful?
- Recruiter insights on the business and culture - not just in the initial phase, but throughout
- An inside champion for the process and result - the hiring manager
- Well defined role -“must haves” versus "preferred" competencies, style, experience, and domain expertise
- Aligned expectations by stakeholders
- Agreed upon milestones with regular feedback on search process
- Creating candidate demand and “enthusiasm” throughout the search
- Well planned evaluation format, criteria, and questions among the selection team with real time feedback among the team
- Transparency with the candidates on status
- Behavioral assessment throughout
- Effective referencing
- Build the relationship along the way. Make it personal. Know the finalist's motivation and concerns before the offer is made
- Timely close, right compensation package, and new hire integration plan